Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pinewood Derby

Our Cub Scout pack had its annual Pinewood Derby last week, so we were busy working on cars the week before that. And by "we" I mean T and I. The boys picked the designs they wanted and oversaw the projects, but we did most of the physical tasks like cutting and painting and putting on the wheels. Maybe that's not how it is supposed to be, but that is how it works for us. J's car was a green 1967 Pontiac GTO with "chrome" accents, and N's was a camouflaged army hummer - it was our first attempt at painting a camo pattern, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Our nephew just joined Cub Scouts, so he entered a car as well.Here are the three of them before the race, as well as a cute future scout.

The races were fun to watch. There were 14 cars total. N's car won first place!

Cousin J came in 5th (after 3 cars tied for 2nd), and our J came in 7th (according to him - there were 3 cars tied for 6th). He came in first last year, though, so he couldn't complain too much. After the official races, we had the three boys race together (that's J pulling the release lever) and show off their cars. You can see it was pretty close overall.

4 comments:

  1. You did a great job with their cars! Hooray for N for zooming in 1st place!
    You know J, I really admire what a fantastic mother you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such fun pictures. I wish I could have been there to cheer them on. Congratulations to the Cub Scouts. I think we had better say congratulations to J and T, also. When I use to prepare for my Cub meetings, T was too young for Cubs. He use to look longingly at the fun things we had planned, and look forward to the day when he could be a scout. Now his boys are scouts. I'm certain E is anxious to be a Cub. Time certainly does fly. Great Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. J! I think the camo turned out REALLY well! I am seriously impressed. And "the way it is supposed to work" is the picture of those boys faces at the race together, no matter how you got there! :) (Personal opinion!) And your soccer books are awesome! We absolutly treasure our books that you did for us. Hope your great! miss you!

    ReplyDelete